Friday, August 5, 2011

Estimating your Nepali vocabulary

As I set out to improve my Nepali, I'm curious to know: How many Nepali words do I actually know already? And how many words are there to learn? If you want to know your own vocabulary size -- for any language -- this is what I did and you can do to:

It's easy to estimate vocabulary, although it's not very exact. I took out my pocket dictionary, ran through 3 pages Nepali-English and 3 pages English-Nepali. I found that I knew 16 words in the Np-Eng part which has 227 pages, and 11 words in the Eng-Np part which has 308 pages.
  • Estimate 1 : (16/3 words pr page) x 227 pages = 1211 words
  • Estimate 2 : (11/3 words pr page) x 308 pages = 1129 words
That's a pretty consistent estimate of my vocabulary! Let's just say it's somewhere in the range of 1000-1500 words. A good start!

What's the total size of Nepali vocabulary then? Tough question. Again, reaching for my pocket dictionary and multiplying the number of pages with the entries per page, I quickly find around 10-15.000 words. The Nepalese people speak with a wide range of sophistication levels, where a 'simple' person perhaps has a vocabulary of 5-10.000 words, and a more educated person has a more advanced vocabulary of some 20.000 words. Just guessing here.... If you include all sorts of academic stuff, combinations etc., there might be 100.000 words.

The interesting thing here is, I can actually get by and talk with people in Nepalese with just a thousand word vocabulary! No where near fluently though. I'm constantly asking people to clarify, rephrase, explain etc.: "Feri bhånnuhos, må bujhdeina"! So really want to improve my Nepali vocabulary and get to know at least 5000 Nepali words. Only 4000 to go then! Thats 10-15 words a day for a year!


1 comment:

  1. Lucky Lady Bingo Near Me - Mapyro
    Search for Lucky 목포 출장샵 Lady Bingo near 논산 출장샵 me in 동해 출장마사지 2021. 동두천 출장샵 Lucky Lady Bingo, located in the bustling city of Johannesburg, is 용인 출장안마 a popular attraction that

    ReplyDelete